Sunday, December 17, 2006

Bobby

This movie was a major disappointment. Without spoiling the film I will say that it follows the lives of several people either staying at the Ambassador Hotel or involved with the 68' Kennedy Presidential campaign. Along the way you learn bits of information about the character’s lives and what has led them to the Ambassador on June 4th 1968. The film obviously ends with the shooting of Senator Kennedy, but up until then the films lacks any major substance.

The first issue I found with the film is that it sunk under the weight of the cast. With so many “big name” actors involved with the film they diverted attention away from the plot, as well as the characters they were tasked to portray. Each time a new character was introduced I had to laugh at the absurdity of having that particular actor involved with the film. It all culminated with seeing Frodor and Lindsey Lohan in a love scene, odd.

The next issue I found was the dialogue; it appeared to be forced. Many of the actors in the film did not seem to fit into the role that they were given. So much so that when many of the actors spoke I did not feel any passion for their character. The one glaring exception was that of Dwayne, a young Kennedy operative played by Nick Cannon. Mr. Cannon was able to show true passion for his character and with that his character seemed so real on an emotional level.

The final scene was moving and in my opinion was the only well written and directed scene in the entire movie.

I was expecting more and came away with so much less.

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGG8w_N4B4

1 comment:

Green tea said...

I think you are way to young to appreciate this movie.
I lived it and found it to be very moving.
What a different world this would have been if Bobby had become president.
Gene Mccarthy was too full of himself
and would have been a disaster.
We will never know.
But meanwhile I loved the movie.