Sunday, December 17, 2006

Apocalypto

I ended up at this movie on opening day, not by choice, but rather by someone else’s intrigue. I sat through the nearly two and a half hours of the film and came away with the opinion of “eh”

The film was supposedly about the decline and downfall of the Mayan civilization, but rarely was that theme touched or explained. I was hoping to sit through Mel Gibson’s idea and dramatization of how a great society threw itself into decay, but I came away empty handed. Mel does a clever marketing job with this film.

Regarding things other than the theme of the film I would have to say it was neither bad nor good. The script was fine, the actual plotline was alright, and the acting was adequate. But there was nothing that really roped me into the film that would make me recommend it to others.

Concerning the hype about the violence in the film I would say I have seen worse. I understand that because it was a Disney production that violence would be an issue, but nothing newsworthy.

All and all, it was entertaining but not a movie that I would watch again, nor invite others to watch themselves.

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXxYbtm8l38

No comments: